Monday 8 April 2013

Meet Ian Bostridge

Tenor, Ian Bostridge will be joining Britten Sinfonia at the Barbican in May for a programme exploring the themes of sleep and night. Ahead of the concert Ian has managed to find some time in his busy schedule to answer a few questions about himself.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Working with Britten Sinfonia ... And playing Aschenbach in Britten's Death in Venice at the ENO.


When are you happiest?
With my wife and children, preferably somewhere hot.

What is your greatest fear?
For my children's future in a world where common decencies are under assault by the scourge of neoliberalism.

What is your earliest musical memory?
Singing the solo in Vaughan-Williams' motet O Taste and See at my local church in Streatham, getting lost, and bursting into tears. I must have been 6 or 7.

Which living person do you most admire, and why?
My wife, Lucasta Miller, for her brilliant mind and brilliant writing; and for keeping things together when I'm away. And when I'm not.
  
What is your most treasured possession?
Score of the Tempest with Tom Ades's dedication

What would your super power be?
Teleportation, so I could get home more often between concerts and rehearsals.

If you were an animal what would you be?
My son, at 2, famously said "Mummy a tiger, Daddy a hen". So there you have it.

What is your most unappealing habit?
Nervous tension. Nail biting.

What is your favourite book?
War and Peace.

What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Oversleeping

Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
Franz Schubert, Albert Einstein, Dr Johnson, Letitia Landon, Jane Austen, Cleopatra

If you could go back in time, where would you go?
1984 when I met my wife

How do you relax away from the concert platform?
Reading, eating, looking at pictures, watching DVD box sets, walking, playing with the children, talking to my friends. The normal stuff.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
My two extraordinarily lovely children.

What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Try and be kind.

In a nutshell, what is your philosophy?
There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in most philosophies

Ian Bostridge performs with Britten Sinfonia on Saturday 4 May 2013 at London's Barbican. For further information click here

No comments: