Thursday 8 December 2011

Meet David Hill

On the last Sunday before Christmas we will be performing Handel's Messiah in Norwich Theatre Royal with renowned choral conductor David Hill. The concert will then be performed at Amsterdam's Concertgebouw on  Tuesday 20 December. Ahead of the events we asked David a few questions for our Q&A series, we hope you enjoy his answers below.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?
Conducting a Gala Concert at Covent Garden in which the Bach Choir sang ‘Belshazzar’s Feast, the Prince of Wales joining the Choir in ‘Zadok the Priest’.

When are you happiest?
When I’m with my family on holiday. It’s the only time I don’t work.

What is your greatest fear?
Being stranded on a desert island without music.

What is your earliest musical memory?
Playing the theme tune to Z Cars on the piano to aged great aunts and grandmother when I was three. I was equally baffled as to why I could do it!

Which living person do you most admire, and why?
Mariss Jansons: He is the greatest orchestral trainer living with impeccable ears.

If you were an animal what would you be?
I’ve always wished to be taller so a giraffe would be good.

What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Eating chocolate bars by myself in the car.

How do you relax away from the concert platform?
I enjoy cooking, drawing and reading.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
It was a long time ago but the first disc for Hyperion we recorded with Westminster Cathedral Choir won a Gramophone Award much to my surprise.

What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Humility; the most successful people I have come in to contact with are some of the most humble.

No comments: