Thursday 10 September 2015

Meet Elizabeth Hunt

In another post in our occasional series of Q and A's with soloists, musicians and staff our Development Manager, Elizabeth Hunt answers a few questions. Elizabeth (otherwise known as Izi) is responsible for all our fundraising initiatives from individual donors to our friends scheme, to raising funds towards commissioning new works.

When are you happiest?


At home (I’m a bit obsessed with my house, as it’s my first and I only moved in 6 months ago!) in my garden reading a book or magazine with a cup of tea, listening to the birds sing!

What is your greatest fear?

Losing my family or experiencing a natural disaster first-hand. But I try not to think about those things, so I don’t really have a ‘greatest fear’ in the sense that it affects my day-to-day life. Hopefully no-one really has those!

What is your earliest musical memory?

My elder sister practising for and singing in a school nativity called ‘Hosanna Rock!’ in a little church in the village where we both went to primary school.

Most treasured possession?

I have a few! I am very sentimental so I have quite a lot of things that I hold on to and like (possibly also known as junk) but one thing I love is a little figurine of a dancer (called Esmerelda), which belonged to my grannie – I think it was the first gift that my grandpa gave to her when they were courting in the 1950s. And my house (or more realistically my mortgage?)

What would your super power be?

Being invisible might be quite fun… The power to convince everyone that environmental problems matter and they should take care of the environment, especially bees. Basically I’d be Bee Woman! The environment is so important and there’s so much more, even small things, that people can do to help preserve biodiversity and the planet, so it would be good to have greater influence on that.

If you were an animal would you be?

Giraffes are my favourite animal but I’ve always liked the idea of being a cat, so I could sleep all day in the sunshine. In a garden.

What is your favourite book?

For a while it was The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger), and then I read The Luminaries (Eleanor Catton). And The Rehearsal (also by Eleanor Catton) was great – though I’m still trying to work it out so I’ll definitely be reading it again... I’d happily take these three to a desert island and read them over and over.

What is your guilty pleasure?

Eating too much chocolate and too many cakes and biscuits in the office!

What is the most important life lesson you have learnt?

Never accept anything, or anyone, for that matter, at face value.

What is the first thing you do when you get into the office in the morning?

Check my work emails, log in to Raiser’s Edge, and see if anyone has already made a round of tea!

What has been your biggest achievement so far during your time at Britten Sinfonia?

Managing the Development Department for a couple of months while we were between Directors. And tidying the stationery room.

Favourite musical moment from the Britten Sinfonia concerts you have been involved with?

Well it’s a favourite music and dance moment, but definitely See the Music, Hear the Dance in November 2014 at Sadler’s Wells.

What was the last piece of music you listened to?

It was probably something on Jamie Cullum’s jazz show on Radio 2. And I’m hugely excited to be seeing Punch Brothers live this weekend.

What is your favourite item on/around your desk?

My plant, known as Wilma, who my lovely colleague Karys bought for me! (see picture)

Would you like to share a desk selfie with us?
Yes!


To find out more about the work of our development team and how you can support Britten Sinfonia click here

No comments: